Friday, August 22, 2008

Visit: Buck's Smoking Pit

I had an abbreviated lunch hour today, and decided to make the quick trip to Buck's Smoking Pit to give the sandwich a try. I was a little concerned about whether they were open as I saw a padlock on the door and the carry-out window--but the padlock was merely on the open hasp of the door.

The menu's painted over the order counter: I tried the large hot pork shoulder sandwich. The proprietor made a point of saying that they had beef as well, but I like to be consistent the first time I go into a place.

Needless to say, I should have taken his advice. The shoulder was undercooked, with pieces of chewy fat, and no discernible smokiness. The sandwich itself wasn't bad (after I'd taken the pure fat off), but the meat would have benefited greatly from some additional time on the pit.

Buck's has lots of other options available, as well: Beef ribs, pork ribs, rib tips, bologna, sausage, pig feet, pig tails (that's new to me), and a handful of non-barbecue items. I'll have to give it another visit to try something that's not a barbecue sandwich.

No comments: